Tuesday, December 8, 2009

MY NANNY

I was going through old emails this morning. When I say old I have stuff saved from back in 2004 people. I am a cyber pack rat if you will. Always in fear of deleting a picture of a loved one, sporting event or holiday that I need to add to the scrapbook. I'm weird like that. * DON'T EVEN BOTHER ASKING HOW FAR BEHIND I AM WITH ANY OF THOSE PROJECTS * What sparked my interest to start cleaning out the inbox was a recipe my Nanny sent me. I wanted to share it with a friend for her website. Little did I know at the time that it would be the last recipe she'd share with me.

Every Christmas my Nanny would have a spread of homemade goodies that was out of this world. Everyone knew she'd come with tubs of peanut brittle, fudge, chocolate covered pretzels, & Saltine Toffee . We'd all sit around and eat until we wanted to bust.
Here is a recipe she sent me on December 26, 2004.
We lost Melba LaNell (Pope) Aebischer on January 28, 2005.
~
I hope you enjoy these tasty little treats~

I dearly miss Nanny. I think of her often and catch myself wanting to call her to fill her in on something or update her on life. Now she beats me to that. I just wish I could talk to her like I did. She always knew what to say even if it was not what I wanted to hear. She was my counselor, my friend, my teacher and my "Nanny". I hope to one day have half the strength she had when it came to dealing with life's little situations.

SALTINE TOFFEE

37 saltine crackers
1 cup of butter
3/4 cups sugar
2 cups (12oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 oz white morsels
1 tsp shortening

Place crackers in a single layer in a foil lined 15X10X1" baking pan.
In a sauce pan bring butter and sugar to a boil.
Reduce heat, simmer (uncovered) for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened & sugar is completely dissolved. Spread over crackers.
Bake 350 degrees for 7-8 minutes until bubbly.
Sprinkle with chips. Back 3-5 minutes longer or until chips begin to melt, spread chocolates evenly over top.
Melt white chips and shortening, drizzle over toffee. Let chill until set.
Break into pieces. Store in a tight container.

Makes about 1-3/4 lbs

If you like to crochet I have a handwritten pattern that my nanny also made for me. This is yet another memory I will never let go of. In 2004 my boys and I went to spend Thanksgiving with the Aebishcher's. We also went shopping, cooked a lot of home cooked meals, slept (one of my favorite things to do at Nanny's house ~it's just so peaceful & relaxing) and watched the boys fish. We went for a few long drives which is when Nanny and I talked the most other than sitting at the kitchen table when the kids were in bed. That weekend we also celebrated Papa's birthday and welcomed my very first niece, Natalie. She was born 11.25.04. While visiting my Nanny she had a beautiful cream colored crochet blanket on our bed. She made it for us to take home. She also took me to buy new yarn. Any color combo I wanted. She told me she would make any pattern I wanted too. I was so excited because her work was absolutely gorgeous. She told me she'd work on it but with the holidays around the corner it might take awhile. I was in no rush. Just pleased as all get out she was making it for me.

January came and we got the call that Nanny had passed. I had to tell Kyle on his birthday that Nanny was no longer with us (Kyle was on a trip with his church, he came home on his birthday 01/30). Nanny she was laid to rest on Cameron's birthday (02/01). Truly I had never suffered a loss as great as losing her. I was fortunate to still have all my grandparents living. I just hated to ask but I had to......I called my Aunt Edith and said will you please check for a blanket Nanny was working on for me? It was sage & cream. I did not care if it was finished or not I wanted to save it. Edith was very understanding and said honey she had it in the closet with the pattern & a sticky note with my name on it. I just cried and cried. Yet another little something for me to hold on to. It was the most beautiful crochet blanket I've ever seen. I know it was made just for me with much time & love involved.

THANK YOU NANNY FOR BEING SUCH A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL IN MY LIFE! I WILL NEVER FORGET ALL THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR ME!

*I will scan pattern soon and post below*

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! As you know I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Grandma - gonna be spending some time with her on my day off tomorrow.... Love ya!

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete